Sunday, April 26, 2015

My Home is a Circus! (And how you can make one out of yours too)


Being a working mommy is not easy. If we had all the money in the world or lived in a state where a single salary would provide for a comfortable life, I would probably consider being a stay-at-home mom.
But then I think about how much I love my job. I think about how my paycheck gives me a sense of independence and allows me to purchase things I enjoy and contribute to our savings and investment goals. I think of my role as a public servant for a government agency in our great country. And I think of the example I'm setting for Benny (the same example my mom set for her three daughters) as a multi-tasking, working woman, and suddenly, I feel better.
But then there are those days when I get home from work tired, only to arrive to a ridiculously messy house. I begin wondering when in the world I'll have a chance to clean and make dinner, give Benny a bath, read him a book, prepare myself for work the next day, workout and spend time with my husband. There just aren't enough hours in the day!! 
But I quickly stop overthinking and instead of getting anxious over having so much to clean, I choose to make the most of the evening with my little Benny boy, even if it means, ordering take out, hiring someone to help me clean and skipping on the treadmill.


Benny's room on a Monday night-- a day after I spent an entire weekend deep cleaning and organizing it!

The bathroom: dirty clothes, a tub full of toys and random objects including Tupperware!!

The other night I literally went from feeling frustrated about what seemed to be a circus at home (messy rooms, toys everywhere, Benny running & screaming around house) to actually playing circus, at home!!!
I'm sharing this because it turned out to be a really fun evening activity that anyone can create. 
A few weeks ago, I bought a red and orange striped children's circus tent (IKEA, $20) and had it set up in the living room. Then I asked Benny to push the rocking horse from his bedroom to the circus tent and quickly made a tall hat out of black cardboard paper to give him the appearance of a circus animal tamer.
Then I put on some clown makeup and we had an evening full of laughter and fun.
All this to say, it's okay to leave things pending and let the house stay messy if it means playing with your kids. The laundry can wait, the messy room will get picked up and the bathroom will be cleaned eventually...
I have chosen to keep my job and enjoy every evening and weekend to the fullest with my son-- those moments matter most. One day Benny will grow, leave the house and I'll have all the time in the world to clean and organize... And I'll probably think back on the years when I was a younger mommy who would get home from work only to ‘clown’ around the house with my little boy and finish making a true circus out of our home.
 
Thanks for reading and Happy Sunday to all!







En español
Ser mamá con trabajo de tiempo completo, no es fácil. Si tuviéramos todo el dinero en el mundo o viviéramos en un estado donde un solo sueldo proporcionara lo suficiente para vivir una vida cómoda, probablemente consideraría ser ama de casa.

Pero cuando me pongo a pensar en lo mucho que me encanta mi trabajo, en el hecho que mi sueldo me da un aire de independencia y me permite comprar cosas que me gustan y contribuir a los ahorros y a nuestras metas de inversión, me siento mejor. Pienso en mi papel como funcionario público para una agencia gubernamental en nuestro gran país.
También pienso en el ejemplo que le estoy dando a Benny (el mismo ejemplo que mi mamá nos dio a sus tres hijas) y de repente, me siento mejor.
Pero luego hay días cuando llego a casa del trabajo cansada, sólo para encontrarme con un desorden garrafal. Empiezo a preguntarme cuándo demonios voy a tener la oportunidad de limpiar y hacer de cenar, darle un baño a Benny, leerle un libro, prepararme para el trabajo al día siguiente, completar mi entrenamiento físico y dedicarle tiempo a mi marido.
Y es que simplemente no hay suficientes horas en el día!!

Sin embargo, cuando esto sucede rápidamente dejo de pensar en tantas cosas y en vez de ponerme ansiosa  por tanto que hay que limpiar, elijo divertirme con mi niño Benny, incluso si esto significa, ordenar comida rápida, contratar a alguien que me ayude a limpiar y olvidarme del ejercicio.

La otra noche, literalmente, pase de sentirme frustrada por lo que aparentaba ser un circo en casa (habitaciones desordenadas, juguetes por todas partes, mi hijo corriendo y gritando) y me dediqué a crear un verdadero circo, en casa!!!

Les comparto esto porque mi pequeño circo resultó ser una actividad muy divertida que cualquiera podría crear.

Hace poco compré una carpa de circo para niños en IKEA por $ 20 dls. y la armé en la sala.
Luego le pedí a Benny que empujara el caballito de madera de su habitación a la carpa de circo y rápidamente me puse a hacerle un sombrero alto de cartulina negra para darle la apariencia de un domador de animales.

Luego me pinté la cara de payasa y tuvimos una noche llena de risas y diversión.
Les cuento todo esto solo por el hecho de recordarles que a veces es mejor dejar las cosas pendientes, dejar la casa desordenada y dedicarle tiempo a los hijos.


La ropa se puede lavar después, la habitación desordenada luego se recogerá y el baño terminará limpio...
Por lo pronto, he optado por quedarme con mi trabajo y disfrutar de todas las noches y fines de semana al máximo con mi hijo—considero que esos son los momentos más importantes. Un día Benny crecerá y se irá de la casa y entonces tendré todo el tiempo del mundo para limpiar y organizar... Y probablemente reflexionaré en los años cuando era una mamá joven que llegaba a casa del trabajo solamente
a 'payasear' con mi hijo, pero presiento que esos recuerdos, me darán vida y me harán sonreír.

Gracias por leer y feliz domingo!

No comments: