Wednesday, June 1, 2016

A Visit to Great Grandma's House!


During my last few weeks of maternity leave, I started getting out of the house more often with Toby and eventually made my way out to Oxnard, where a big part of my family lives, including my parents and grandparents. 
One day while we were out there, the boys and I cancelled our beach plans because it was too cold and decided instead to spend a day at my grandmother's house, located in the "La Colonia" area of Oxnard.
It was so nice to relax at her house. Her and my grandpa, Papá Migue were so welcoming and sweet!
One thing I have to share is that my grandmother is the queen of "Kitsch". 




She owns hundreds of dolls and toys and collectibles, most of which were probably produced decades ago but somehow withstood the test of time to decorate the many dressers, cabinets and ledges around her house.




Her home is a humble place that's only had a few upgrades, since I can remember but that's what keeps it comfortable and nostalgic!
For kids, a house like my grandma's represents an adventure at every corner since she has so many collectibles!





Between soccer balls and porcelain dolls sits a picture of me with Mama Gela & Papa Migue on the day of my quinceanera!

But as you get to know this fierce and outspoken 90 year old woman, you begin to understand why she has so many little toys. Every little trinket in her home tells a story of a life full of sacrifices. 


Portrait of Mama Gela in her younger days. She was born in California and eventually made her way back from Mexico.
She's certainly not a hoarder. The collectibles and dolls she has gathered over the years represent her desire to catch up from an impoverished childhood, in Mexico, where she grew up hoping that one day she'd own a single doll, if at all.



My boys relaxed on comfy blankets on her bed while she sang Mexican Lullabies!

This was such a worthwhile trip. So many lessons to be learned from our elders... If only my paternal grandparents would've been around to meet Benny and Toby too (sigh)....



No comments: