Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Cuteness & Cultura-- Viva Los Cupcakes! My New Favorite LA-based Dessert!


Can you imagine the most flavorful and delicious Mexican dish baked into a perfectly sweet cupcake?
At first, I wasn't sure if a mole flavored dessert would agree with my palate! I usually eat mole with corn tortillas, rice, beans and slices of avocado & queso fresco. (BTW, mole is a dark brown Mexican sauce that's served over chicken made with chili peppers, chocolate and other ingredients).
But when I tried the Tamal con Mole cupcake by Los Angeles-based company "Viva Los Cupcakes!" I was wowed.
This small, but amazingly creative local business has come up with unique cupcake flavors, each reminiscent of my mother and grandmother's cooking, growing up in a Mexican home.
For example, there's a 'Champurrado' flavored cupcake (Champurrado is a chocolate-based drink made with masa). There's also a Jamaica cupcake that tastes like my mom's 'Agua de Jamaica' (think of a cold Hibiscus tea).
And what can I say about the Conchita cupcake? (A concha or conchita is a popular type of Mexican sweet bread that's made to look like a sea shell). This one certainly passed Benny's taste test!
There are a bunch of other Mexican food flavored cupcakes created and baked by Viva Los Cupcakes! (Founder: Karina Jimenez)
I discovered them at a local Chicano Art & Jewelry Exhibit last weekend.
And now I'm definitely a fan.
Visit the Facebook Page here: Viva Los Cupcakes!

Love at First Sight! This was the display I came across over the weekend during an Art Exhibit. I decided to buy three cupcakes and try them at home with my boys

Margarita Cupcake


The Signature "Tamal con Mole" Cupcake is incredible!!!!!!!






En español

¿Pueden imaginarse el platillo mexicano más delicioso en forma de un pastelito dulce? Al principio no estaba segura si un postre con sabor a mole estaría de acuerdo con mi paladar. Por lo general disfruto el mole con tortillas de maíz, arroz, frijoles y rebanadas de aguacate y queso fresco.
Pero cuando probé el pastelito de sabor a “Tamal con Mole” creado por la compañía “Viva Los Cupcakes!" con sede en Los Ángeles, me quedé impresionada.
Esta pequeña, pero creativa repostería local ha llegado con sabores únicos, cada uno recordándome a la cocina de mi mamá y de mi abuelita.
Por ejemplo, hay una pastelito con sabor a Champurrado. También hay uno de sabor “Jamaica” que me recuerda a las aguas frescas de Jamaica que hace mi mami.
¿Y que les puedo decir del pastelito sabor a Conchita? Indiscutiblemente pasó la prueba de gusto de mi hijito Benny.
Hay muchos otros pastelitos con sabor a distintos alimentos mexicanos creados y horneados por Viva Los Cupcakes! (su fundadora: Karina Jimenez).
Me alegro de haberlos descubierto en una exposición de arte Chicano cerca del centro de Los Ángeles el fin de semana pasado. Fue verdaderamente un descubrimiento rico!
Me agrego a la lista de fanáticos.


Visite la página de Facebook: Viva Los Cupcakes!

1 comment:

Dominick said...

This blog is one of the cutest ones I have been ever seen. Also, it about my favorite this and it is cupcake. I also like one more dessert very much and that is baklava pistachio the taste is just awesome also you can't imagine until you taste this dessert.