Tuesday, June 23, 2015

DIY 'It's a Small World' Baby Shower Basket with Minnie Mouse Gifts!

This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #MagicBabyMoments #CollectiveBias


If you’ve been reading my blog, you’ve probably noticed by now that I’m a big Disney fan.
It’s funny because this new Disney appreciation emerged not as a little girl but well into my late 20’s.
Since then, I’ve become a theme park annual passholder, participated in Disney races, and visited the theme parks as often as possible (in Anaheim, Florida and Paris). I just can’t get enough of Disney!
One of my all-time favorite attractions is the lovely and glittery It’s a Small World boat ride.
Did you know the attraction has about 300 singing dolls and the famous theme song is played on a continuous loop for 16 hours a day!?


One of my favorite rides at Disneyland! Isn't it adorable?

When I was expecting Benny, I visited Disneyland frequently since it seemed to be the perfect escape for a pregnant lady. Being there so often gave me plenty of nursery décor inspiration. At one point, I thought about decorating Benny’s room after It’s a Small World but ended up going for a Pinocchio theme instead.
Nonetheless, my desire to design something with towers, minarets and cutout turrets, like the ride’s façade, had always been lingering in the back of my mind.





Fortunately, my dear cousin Luana is expecting her second child (yay!). We're very excited to welcome a baby girl to the family since there are currently only two little boys (my son Benny and Luana's first-born, Ethan).
I decided my gift for Baby Alice would be an It's a Small-World Themed gift basket with Disney Baby Minnie Mouse products!






Did you know Walmart carries Disney Baby products?  For Baby Alice’s gift, I purchased all Disney Baby Minnie Mouse gifts at Walmart. The store carries enough adorable Disney Baby items and nursery accessories to make a baby’s room truly magical and well, the happiest nursery on earth!


You can find Disney Baby items at Walmart in the baby section


I hope Luana and baby Alice enjoy the gift. It was a lot of fun to shop for, and create.

In order to make an It’s a Small World themed gift basket similar to mine,  here’s what you will need:
Note: all materials were purchased at Walmart.

Empty Gift box
Pastel colored cardstock paper (I used yellow paper)
Glitter paper
Scissors
Glue
Paint





I must say I'm the type of person who likes to add a lot of detail to things and this project was completed over a span of several days but you can avoid the extra work by simply painting the shapes instead of cutting them out of glitter paper, individually.

1. Start with the empty gift box. I drew a line across the center and cut in right down the middle. I placed one pieces over the other to give it extra support since this will be the free-standing base.

2. Again, make sure you tape both pieces of cardboard. This base has to be sturdy to hold the cardstock and glitter paper panels that will be glued to it.

3. This is what the base should look like once you've taped both pieces.

4. Design enough panels on cardstock paper to cover the width of the base. You'll need cardstock so it can be resistant enough to hold paint, glued embellishments and stand straight. Since I used a box that was 17" wide, my measurements here are such that would cover that particular width. Remember, you can get creative and not everything has to match the ride exactly.

5. Using the attraction details as inspiration, I cut out numbers, clock hands, clock features, towers and other details out of rose gold glitter paper. You can also use a gold metallic marker to draw over your panels if you don't have the time to cut each piece individually.

6. Since this gift is for a baby girl, I used pink and lilac paint to add color to the details. Again, you can use different colors and simply let your imagination soar.

7. For the clock face, you can use any round household item to trace out the face. I used a glass.

8. Once you've got all your pieces painted and cut out, you can start building your towers. This activity is almost like a puzzle!

9. After you have all your pieces in their place, you can start gluing everything over each paper panel. As you can see, projects like these are almost therapeutic for me... so fun! 

10. After each panel has been put together and the embellishments have dried, it's time to start gluing over the base. Make sure you line each panel perfectly along the edge of the base so it's not uneven when standing.



And here is my It's a Small World themed Disney Baby Minnie Mouse gift basket! What Disney Baby items would you purchase to put inside a gift basket?
Wish  everyone has a Magical Day! 

1 comment:

Michelle said...

That is such a creative idea. I love it! I don't know that I'd have the patience to make it, but I would definitely love to *receive* a basket like this! #client