Saturday, November 1, 2014

Dia de Los Muertos Altar in Memory of my Grandmother Eulalia Marquez



Don't you wish heaven had visiting hours?
I miss my grandmother so much and sometimes I feel her presence so close but she's just not around to comfort us anymore.
My grandmother, Eulalia "Lala" Marquez passed away in December 2007.
Throughout most of my childhood she was my babysitter.
At her house, she taught my sister and I to pray the Rosary, to make tortillas from scratch, to feed the chickens in the coop and make guava preserves.
She taught us about honesty and respect, about faith in God and dignity.
She taught us so much about life and love that I couldn't help but dedicate my Dia de Los Muertos Altar entirely to her.
This year, I went with soft pastels and pretty tones. I did so because I felt the color scheme reflected the sweetness and grace of my grandmother's heart.
I love her and miss her dearly.
May her soul, so gentle and sweet, always be near...









En español

¿No les gustaría que el cielo tuviera horas de visita?
Extraño a mi abuela tanto y a veces la siento tan cerca pero ya no está con nosotros para consolarnos.
Mi abuela, Eulalia "Lala" Márquez falleció en diciembre de 2007.
Durante la mayor parte de mi infancia ella fue mi niñera.
En su casa, nos enseñó a mi hermana y a mí a rezar el rosario, hacer tortillas de maíz y de harina, alimentar a los pollos en el gallinero y hacer conservas de guayaba.
Ella nos enseñó acerca de la honestidad y el respeto, sobre la fe en Dios y la dignidad.
Sencillamente nos enseñó sobre la vida y el amor y no pude contener mis ganas de dedicarle toda mi ofrenda del Día de Los Muertos a ella nada más.
Este año, opté por colores pasteles y tonos suaves... Lo hice porque siento que el esquema de colores refleja la dulzura y la gracia del corazón de mi abuela.
Yo la quiero y extraño mucho.
Solo deseo que su alma, tan suave y dulce, siempre esté cerca de nosotros...

* * * * * * * *

To Make My Altar...
I purchased most supplies in Downtown L.A. and Michael's Crafts

I drew the skull designs with a pencil then painted over my pencil designs and finally decorated with glitter and rhinestone stickers

My dining room table was a mess!
But my little helper made things fun!
This activity served as great therapy.... I hope you enjoyed!