Wednesday, January 8, 2014

My attempt to Become More Flexible by the Summer

My flexibility is limited to a few seconds of this...ha! (Hopefully that will change in 2014)

If I tell you I can easily touch my toes when I reach down during a stretch exercise, I may be exaggerating slightly. The truth is…I am so NOT flexible and one of my fitness goals for 2014 is to improve my flexibility, hopefully even make a first attempt at doing the “splits” by the summer.
I admit, this goal may be a bit ambitious but determination can beat all obstacles, right?
So the first thing I do is find a good website with tips, tutorials and good advice. This one: http://goldmedalbodies.com/get-flexible-fast/

Then I start stretching.
The key here will be to stretch three times a week (Sundays, Tuesdays & Fridays for me), without fail.
If you’re interested in doing the same, two things to note:
1. It shouldn’t hurt when you stretch. Pain is a signal that a person has stretched too far. The underlying expectation while stretching should be to feel tension, NOT pain, in the involved muscles.
2. The American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), recommends engaging in flexibility training 2 to 3 days per week, holding each stretch for 10-30 seconds to mild discomfort and performing three to four repetitions per stretch.
Happy Stretching!

Graphic courtesy of sportsscience.co
En español
Si les digo que puedo alcanzar fácilmente los pies cuando me agacho durante un ejercicio de estiramiento, quizá les este exagerando un poco. La verdad es que... ¡No soy flexible!
Una de mis metas de aptitud para 2014 es mejorar mi flexibilidad, con suerte incluso hasta hacer mi primer intento de hacer los "splits" para el verano .
Reconozco que este objetivo pueda ser un poco ambicioso, pero la determinación supera todos los obstáculos, ¿Qué no?
Así que lo primero que hago es encontrar un buen sitio web con consejos, tutoriales e información sobre el estiramiento del cuerpo. Éste:
http://goldmedalbodies.com/get-flexible-fast/

Entonces empiezo a estirarme.
La clave aquí será estirar tres veces a la semana sin falta (domingos, martes y viernes para mí).
Si están interesados en hacer lo mismo, tomen en cuenta lo siguiente:
1. No debe doler cuando se estira. El dolor es una señal de que una persona se ha estirado demasiado. La expectativa al estirar el cuerpo debe ser de sentir tensión, no dolor, en los músculos involucrados.
2. El Colegio Americano de Medicina Deportiva (ACSM), recomienda participación en la formación de la flexibilidad de 2 a 3 días por semana, manteniendo cada estiramiento durante 10 a 30 segundos a una leve molestia y la realización de tres o cuatro repeticiones por cada ejercicio de estiramiento.
¡Que se diviertan!

No comments: