Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Running my second half-marathon, the Tinkerbell Half Marathon

Thousands participated in this year's Tinkerbell Half-Marathon at Disneyland
I’ll be honest. I didn’t train for my second half marathon as hard as I did for my first one last fall.  I did, however, continue running consistently approximately three times a week for two months.
On race day, at the Tinkerbell Half Marathon in Disneyland, I felt ready and pumped for the challenge!! In my mind, I sorta' figured that running through the two Disney parks would somehow make the 13.1 miles more enjoyable and less difficult. Well, the run was definitely more enjoyable as I dashed through the Disneyland back lots and peaked inside the warehouses where the parade floats are parked. The theme parks were lit at 5:00am and running through the Cinderella castle and into Fantasyland was pretty awesome! Many people were actually stopping to take pictures with Peter Pan and Cinderella…but that was a bit much for me and I had a time goal for this race. Somewhere along the way, however, it hit me that I had a very long way to go and for a minute I contemplated walking for a few seconds…to catch my breath. Good thing I didn’t because after fueling with a bite from my Power bar after mile 6, I had a new rush of energy.
The winner of the Tinkerbell Half Marathon was 29-year old Melissa Hernandez of Oxnard, Calif. (woo-hoo!!) who finished the race in 1:25:40.
When I crossed the finish line, I didn’t feel the overwhelming physical breakdown that I felt the first time I ran a half marathon and so I thought, "wow, maybe this running thing is really for me!". Can’t wait to sign up for the next race! Would anybody like to join?

Running by Cars Land at Disney California Adventure: "Why did I sign up for this?"


Tinkerbell Half Marathon 1st place winner, Melissa Hernandez takes a leap past the finish line!

Meanwhile in Fantasyland... Trust me, I wasn't walking!!!

Can you spot me about to give Mickey a "high-five"?

Quite rosy and sweaty but feeling accomplished!

En español 
Les voy a ser honesta. No entrené para mi segunda carrera de medio maratón tan duro como lo hice la primera vez el otoño pasado. Sin embargo, no dejé de correr consistentemente tres veces a la semana por dos meses.
El día de la carrera del medio maratón de Campanita  o “Tinkerbell Half Marathon” de Disneylandia, ¡me sentí preparada y emocionada ante el desafío! En mi mente, me imaginé que correr a través de los dos parques de Disney haría que el recorrido de las 13.1 millas se me hiciera más agradable y menos difícil. Y pues, ¿que les puedo decir?, la carrera fue sin duda agradable ya que corrimos por detrás de las bodegas del parque y alcanzamos a ver los almacenes donde se estacionan las carrozas de los desfiles. Las luces de Disneylandia estaban encendidas y hasta el castillo de Cenicienta estaba iluminado cuando corrimos por ahí para entrar a “Fantasyland”, realmente fue una experiencia 'increíble! Mucha gente se detuvo a tomarse fotos con Peter Pan y Cenicienta... pero eso no me llamó la atención y yo tenía un objetivo de tiempo para terminar la carrera. En un momento a lo largo del camino,  me empezó a preocupar el hecho de que todavía me faltaba mucho por recorrer y por un minuto hasta llegué a pensar que pararía para caminar y recuperarme. Afortunadamente después de darle una mordida a mi barra de proteína, pasando la milla 6, me surgió una torrente de energía que no me dejó parar.
La ganadora del medio maratón fue Melissa Hernández, una chica de 29 años de edad, de Oxnard, California (¡bravo!) que terminó la carrera en 1:25:40.
Cuando crucé la línea para terminar la carrera, no sentí el cansancio exhaustivo y abrumador de la primera vez que corrí un medio maratón y así que pensé, caray, tal vez esto de correr largas distancias es realmente lo mío. Ya hasta tengo ganas de inscribirme a la próxima carrera ¿Alguien desea acompañarme?

No comments: