Friday, January 3, 2014

Spending 2014 in the kitchen {Tasty Thursday}

On my first Tasty Thursday post I will share a little bit about my plans to spend more time cooking in the kitchen this year.
I’ll be honest, in 2013, I wasn’t very good at balancing baby and dinner duties. While I prepared a lot of pre-cooked meals, I didn’t often make things from scratch the way I like to.
So I checked my pantry inventory for a good idea of what I items I have at home and started the year with a list of essentials (like canned tomato & cream sauces, cooking oils and spices) that needed to be purchased. Then I pulled my crock-pot out of a box in the garage, dusted it, washed it and printed a gazillion crock-pot recipes. That will come in handy to prepare healthy, hearty meals while I work. I also went to my craft storage and grabbed my burlap board where I will post the week’s menu…this will be for planning purposes and so that my Paul knows what to expect when he comes home from work.
Lastly, I renewed my membership to my favorite cooking magazine,Gourmet.
The recipes it offers are delicious and much simpler than one might imagine coming from a magazine with such a title.
I anticipate Benny sitting in his high chair patiently while I cook every night. Perhaps this will be a good way of teaching him the names of things around the kitchen…check back next Tasty Thursday for a peak of our New Year’s Eve dinner prepared by my sister Frances and her fiance!!

Our end of the year menu may not have been the healthiest but it was soooooo good!



En Español
Para mi primera nota de Tasty Thursday (Jueves en la cocina) voy a compartir un poco acerca de mis planes para dedicar más tiempo a la cocina este año. Les voy a ser honesta, en el 2013 no fui muy exitosa en mi intento de balancear las tareas de ser madre y de ser buena ama de casa.

Mientras hice bien preparando platillos precocinados, realmente no dediqué tiempo en la cocina así como me gusta. Por eso me puse a revisar mi despensa para darme una buena idea de los ingredientes que ya tengo y empecé el año con una lista de elementos esenciales (como las salsas y cremas en conserva, aceites de cocina y especies) que debía comprar. Entonces saqué mi Crock Pot (olla de cocimiento lento) de una caja en la cochera, la desempolvé, la lavé e imprimí un montón de recetas para ese tipo de olla. Esto me será útil para preparar deliciosos y saludables alimentos mientras trabajo.
También fui a sacar mi tabla de arpillera donde pienso pegar el menú de la semana... esto se hará con fines de planificación y para que mi Paul sepa qué esperar de su esposa en la cocina al llegar a casa. Por último, renové mi suscripción a mi revista de cocina favorita, GourmetLas recetas que ofrece son deliciosas y mucho más sencillas de lo que sugiere el título. 
Ya me imagino a Benny sentadito en su silla para comer mientras preparo la comida cada noche. Tal vez esto sea una buena manera de enseñarle los nombres de las cosas que se usan para cocinar... ¡Regresen a mi página el próximo jueves para ver nuestra cena de fin de año preparada por mi hermana Frances y su prometido!

No comments: