Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The Big Red Barn. Farm-based Pre School in Yuma, AZ


On a recent work trip to Yuma, Arizona, I drove past a place with a sign that read: "The Big Red Barn. Farm Based Pre-School".
Then I noticed a hay stack and a U.S. Flag next to a hand painted sign with the word: "Office".
It was so charming that I had to stop.
This was way too cutesy to ignore, especially because the concept of taking a child to a pre-school where he or she may learn first-hand about animals and farming was way too intriguing for this inquisitive mommy.
So I parked my car and got a tour of this out-of-the-box and interesting little pre-school.
For privacy reasons, I did not take any pictures of the dozens of adorable children who were in the middle of a lesson and eventually were dismissed for recess. Others were having a snack in hand-made wooden tables.
A lovely volunteer named Ruth Carroll gave me a tour of the facility and showed me the flower garden and vegetables that the little ones have planted, among many, many other things that melted my heart and got me excited imagining Benny there.
I left the place hoping there would be something like this in the San Gabriel Valley.
According to its website: "The Big Red Barn has a comprehensive curriculum that fosters an appreciation for agriculture’s contribution to society. The curriculum focuses on agriculture, animals, and an appreciation for our environment..."
Check it out here: http://www.brbpreschoolyuma.com/











En español
En un reciente viaje de trabajo a Yuma, Arizona, pasé por un lugar con un letrero que decía: "The Big Red Barn. Farm Based Pre -School" (El Granero Rojo. Escuela pre-kínder con temática de granja)
Luego me di cuenta que había una paca de heno y una bandera de EE.UU. junto a otro letrero pintado a mano con la palabra: "Office".
Fue tan encantador  que tuve que parar.
Esto era demasiado llamativo como para ignorar, sobre todo porque el concepto de llevar a un niño a un centro preescolar donde él o ella puede aprender de primera mano acerca de los animales y la agricultura es un concepto demasiado intrigante para esta mamá inquisitiva.
Así que estacioné mi coche y me fui a que me mostraran la escuelita preescolar.
Por razones de privacidad, no tomé ninguna foto de las decenas de niños adorables que estaban en medio de la lección antes de ser despedidos para el recreo. Otros pequeños comían un aperitivo en unas mesitas muy curiosas de madera hechas a mano.
Una voluntaria llamada Ruth Carroll me dio un recorrido por las instalaciones y me mostró el jardín y de plantas y verduras que los pequeños han plantado, entre muchas otras cosas más.
Mi corazón se derretía y me entusiasmé imaginándome a Benny allí.
Me fui del lugar deseando que hubiera algo como esto en el Valle de San Gabriel.
Según el sitio web de la escuelita: "The Big Red Barn tiene un plan de estudios integral que fomenta el aprecio por la contribución de la agricultura a la sociedad.  El plan de estudios se centra en la agricultura, los animales y el aprecio por el medio ambiente..."
Pueden echarle un vistazo aquí : http://www.brbpreschoolyuma.com/


No comments: