Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Working out at Home


A little sweat never hurt anyone, right?
On days when I get too busy to spend my lunch hour at my work gym, I complete my Workout of the Day or "WOD" at home! (WOD is a term used in Crossfit).
It's a simple and worthwhile approach to burning calories with no excuses.
I place my little Benny in his playard and put on a Disney movie.
He takes turns watching the movie and watching his mom make funny faces while lifting kettle bells and doing push-ups.
I grab a deck of playing cards and assign myself seven different exercises.
Each playing card that's turned over will tell me how many of each exercise I must complete before moving on.
By the time, I'm done, I've spent at least 40 minutes working out hard, sweating a lot and feeling glad I didn't just let another day go by without making an effort to become fit and strong.
My exercises on this particular week night were: Push-Ups, Squats, Kettle Bell Swings, Abs, Burpees, Leg Lunges and Jumping Jacks. It was a killer workout and Benny enjoyed it too!









En español

Un poco de sudor no le hace mal a nadie ¿cierto?
En los días que estoy demasiado ocupada para dedicar mi hora de almuerzo al gimnasio del trabajo, hago mi entrenamiento del día o mi "WOD" en casa! (WOD es un término usado en Crossfit).
Es un método sencillo y útil para quemar calorías sin excusas.
Pongo mi pequeño Benny en su corralito y le pongo una película de Disney.
El niño se toma turnos viendo la película y viendo a su mamá a hacer muecas mientras levanta pesas y hace lagartijas.
Tomo una baraja de cartas y me asigno siete ejercicios diferentes.
Cada carta de la baraja me dirá cuántos de cada ejercicio debo completar antes de continuar.
Al terminar, me doy cuenta que estuve sudando durante 40 minutos haciendo ejercicio duro y me siento alegre de no haber dejado pasar otro día sin hacer un esfuerzo para estar fuerte y en forma.
Mis ejercicios de esta semana en particular incluyeron: lagartijas, sentadillas, levantar pesas, abdominales, sentadillas militares, tijerillas y saltos abriendo y cerrando los brazos y piernas. Yo diría que fue un ejercicio de campeones y Benny lo disfrutó también!

No comments: